By Dr. Karen Halligan
A large percentage of the most common ailments in cats and dogs can be prevented with proper diet, care and exercise. Here is a list of the ten most common medical conditions reported in cats and dogs, and the ways you can help prevent them!
- Dental Disease – prevented by daily tooth brushing and yearly dental exams by your vet.
- Ear infections – regular ear cleanings can help prevent infections.
- Bladder infections – avoided by feeding a proper diet and adequate water intake.
- Stomach upset – prevented by feeding a proper diet and not giving table scraps.
- Skin irritation – providing adequate flea control, brushing and a proper diet will prevent skin problems.
- Kidney disease – feeding a proper diet and ensuring your pet drinks enough water can help ward off this disease.
- Arthritis – exercise keeps joints healthy and can slow the onset by preventing your pet from becoming overweight.
- Upper respiratory disease – proper vaccinations will prevent some infections.
- Diabetes – not letting your pets get fat will help prevent this disease.
- Intestinal disease – again, proper diet and avoiding table scraps will prevent intestinal problems.